There was my husband sitting on the sofa with a tear in his eye. We were watching a Hallmark Channel Christmas movie.
“I’m a softy,” he said.
Why do we waste time during the holidays watching these movies? They are so predictable! The writer in me analyzed their pre-requisites:
- A boy friend who’s not right for the heroine
- A handsome hero who is totally opposite from the heroine
- A well-meaning friend, angel, or relative who guides the heroine
- A heroine with a busy career, or she’s seeking a career, or she’s a single mom
- A visit to the Christmas tree lot and decorating the tree
- A baking cookies scene
- A belief that “it’s Christmas!” and that because it’s Christmas anything can happen
But you know the real reason we watch Hallmark Christmas movies? These movies make us feel happy. That’s why!
Janie Emaus explains why the movies make her feel happy in her Huffington Post blog 4 Reasons Hallmark Movies Saved My Holiday Spirit. Read it. She explains it very well.
I like one of her conclusions. Emaus says, “I’d like to think this can happen in real life. That we do give people a second chance.”
Second chances are important to me. I’ve had my second, or third, or fourth chance. I write about second chances. One of my favorite themes is the reunion story where hero and heroine get a second chance at love.
What about you? Do you believe in do-overs? Second chances?
My Christmas Books
Our December Rafflecopter has 5 Amazon Gift Cards as prizes. Be sure to enter often to improve your chances of winning, and, please, tell your friends about Romance Gems—our Authors, our books, our blog posts, and our Giveaway every month.