The autumn colors abound. Pine cones and multi-hued leaves in crystal bowls magically appear on every bare surface from living room to bedroom! A beautiful wreath of golds, and browns, and bright oranges graces my front door.
My kitchen is filled with the fragrant aroma of homemade soup. It's become a tradition of sorts. Beginning right after the autumnal equinox, every Saturday becomes soup-making Saturday. And, nearly every Saturday night includes an overnight visit with at least one of my grandchildren. I'd like to think they come for the company, but I'm pretty sure it's the soup!
I thought I'd share the recipe for one of my two oldest granddaughters' favorites ... Cheeseburger Chowder!
- 2 tbl of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- ½ bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 finely minced clove of garlic (or 1 teaspoon if using from jar)
- 1 lbs of lean ground beef
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp of worcesteshire sauce
- 2 cups of beef stock
- 1½ tbl of cornstarch
- 2 cups of milk or cream
- 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Warm olive oil in 3 quart sauce pan. Add oniom, celery, bell pepper and parsley and cook over medium heat until onion is tender. Add minced garlic and stir to mix.
- Add beef and brown over medium-high heat.
- Add potatoes, worcestershire and stock. Cover and simmer, until potatoes are tender (about 45 minutes).
- Stir cornstarch into milk and add to pot. Simmer uncovered, stirring constantly, until thickened (about 3 minutes).
- Add cheese and simmer, stirring gently, just until melted. Add salt and pepper if needed and serve immediately.
This soup is great with either breadsticks or buttered crusty buns!
~ ~ ~
The only thing better than cooking a big pot of soup is getting to sit down and enjoy it. I like to polish off my meal with a nice cup of tea or cocoa and a good book!
Speaking of books ... it's time to get to today's book giveaway!
All you have to do is comment on today's post for a chance to win a copy of my Egyptian-themed, time travel, Eye of the Pharaoh. Please remember to include your email address in the comment so I can contact you if your name is chosen. I'll be giving away a signed, print copy if the winner lives in either the U.S. or Canada. Outside North America, the winner will receive an ebook copy.
About the Book:
Publicist Teri Hunter has her hands full promoting Professor Joshua Cain and his new non-fiction book, The Pharaoh’s Mummy. She’s not convinced it’s even possible to turn this absent-minded, modern-day, Indiana Jones into a best-selling author.
Dr. Cain’s PhDs in archaeology and art history have prepared him for almost anything on the lecture circuit and among ancient ruins. He’s just not sure about a book tour...or the sexy publicist sent to monitor his every professional move.
When an odd request falls in their laps while in New Orleans, Josh and Teri find themselves transported to 1920’s Egypt where they must resolve an ancient curse in order to be sent home. Will the dangers facing them hinder their success and threaten their very lives? Or will help from an ancient guardian keep them on-track and safe?
~ ~ ~
Don't forget our newest Rafflecopter giveaway! First through fourth prizes are Amazon Gift Cards! There are one-time tasks, as well as daily opportunities to enter.
Full information on the contest can be found on our Monthly Giveaway page. If you're already familiar with the prizes, you can go directly to our contest link to enter!
Until next month, stay happy, stay healthy, stay well read.